Saturday, July 28, 2007

Summer is, summer isn't.

Okay. I'll admit I live in a fairly affluent area. There are some very wealthy people where I live (Paul Allen? Bill Gates? Yeah), and as much as I hate to say it, this affluence has seriously spoiled the kids who are subjected to it. I'm not going to lie; I live a very comfortable life. But looking at these kids driving BMVs and Mercedes' around, thinking they're the shit sort of makes me sick (I asked for a car once; my parents laughed and said they'd buy me a trike).

For example, today my friend and I were lucky enough to get together and go water skiing on another friend's boat. Fun, right? We go to the place it's docked, and there are a bunch of people I know, some older, some younger, all under 21, and most carrying beer bottles and cigarettes and those 'special' cigarettes that make life so much fun, as well as other drugs stashed away in pockets or purses.

Before I continue, I'll say that nobody is perfect. We've all experimented here and there, including me, but I've come to the obvious conclusion that underage drinking and doing drugs is incredibly stupid (no thanks to DARE, though; my friend was paralyzed in a car crash with a drunk driver). Granted, I had come to this conclusion earlier when I realized that I wasn't immortal and I needed my life in order to do the amazing things I hope to do in the future.

Am I not cool 'cause I don't drink?

I think being cool constitutes having a working liver and enough brain cells to funtion.

Anyways, back to the story...

These people, all seventeen and eighteen, were all drunk and stoned off their asses. Driving boats and cars. And you know what? Nobody gives a shit. Nobody remembers my friend who was paralyzed or the girl who was killed last year or the dozen or so people who had to go to the hospital because they ODd on a mixture of coke and Ritalin. None of the parents give a crap that their kids are destroying their livers or brain cells. None of the parents care that they're buying their children's love by giving them money to buy coke and pot (believe it or not, I know some parents that actually GIVE their kids the coke and pot...)

Okay. Sweeping generalizations here, I know, but still. It just pisses me off so much to see these kids, supposedly in the prime of their lives, wasting it by getting stoned. They won't even remember it in two years. I know that either after high school or college some of them will come crashing down to reality, but the scary thing is some of them won't have to, and they'll just keep on skating through life on their parents' money, or the money people give them for being attractive and well connected.

And for the people who aren't attractive and well-connected? We'll work our asses off, make a living, maybe get some recognition, and feel fulfilled.

Will they?

Crap. Sorry, I was just a bit cheesed off.

Gotta go do some homework. I'm out.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Couldn't agree with you more. The sheer recklessness of some teenagers just sickens me. I find most people in my demographic to be perfectly personable people (alliteration for the win, by the way), but I come across, from time to time, kids who simply don't care -- but sure as hell should.

Kids who take that pretty car their parents bought them and pass everyone in their path, speeding and turning pretty as they please. If an accident happens, hey, Dad'll pay for it, right?

For the record, my car, gas and insurance is paid for by one person -- me. And you know what, I may be a might poorer than some of these kids, but I take a certain amount of pride in driving a car I worked and paid for myself.

End of rant.

MadhouseMedic said...

I'm 19 years old and i work my ass off in medic school while most guys are out getting high and grab assing, and that pisses me off.

spontaneousanonymity said...

Matt- For one, love the alliteration. :D

And two, I agree with the whole car thing; I got a job, I got the money, and I payed for my car. Granted, it's a crappy old toyota, but it's my car. I payed for it.

And as for the fact that Daddy would pay for the wrecked car... I know what you mean, but the fact that people actually think like that?... It's like, look, can Daddy pay for the hospital bills of the three people you injure in a car crash? Can he pay for the funeral for the girl you killed?

...

That price is way to high.

And don't worry about the ranting, that entire blog post was me ranting. :D

Kyle - Halleluia. And the funny thing is you'll be helping them when they OD or crash their cars or get lost because they're too high to realize where they are. Funny, huh?

MadhouseMedic said...

funny and sad. Then again with that quality 30,000 dollar education their parents are paying for they should be able to save them selves no?