Thursday, June 28, 2007

Woah.

Can I just say that I love CNN? Like, actually. Here's why; first, Anderson Cooper bashes Paris Hilton on air, which I talked about last night, (Cooper on how Paris Hilton seemingly had a life changing experience in jail: "It seems odd for her to just... get smart."), and then, him and another reporter had this witty repartee on air.

_____

Erica: And let's lighten it up here. Already lining up around the country at stores. Not Harry Potter. That's not for a few more weeks. We're talking, of course, about Apple's new iPhone. It goes on sale tomorrow. It is hyped, of course, as the next big thing.

A whole lot of gadget heads seem to be buying into that hype. So much so, we are hearing pretty crazy stories, including one guy in Seattle who reportedly sold his car to pay for one. For an iPhone. Plus, a moped for him, to get around.

COOPER: Woo, iPhone! [Raises hands in 'rock on' symbol]

HILL: Yes. [Does the same]

COOPER: Rock on, iPhone!

HILL: Yes. You have a new little tool there.

COOPER: I got a new BlackBerry, actually.

HILL: Got a little camera on it.

COOPER: It's got a little camera. I'm going to take a picture and send it to you.

HILL: OK. But it's not an iPhone, Anderson. So I mean, it may be cool and all, but not really...

COOPER: [Indignant] Well, it's got a color screen.

HILL: Not going to be in with the in crowd.

COOPER: Yes. No, I know. It's totally not in.

HILL: That's all right. I don't get it either.

COOPER: The iPhones are cool. But again, I'm worried that as soon as -- you know, that in a month from now, there's going to be, like, the little mini iPhone. So I'm going to be there with the obsolete, big, old-fashioned iPhone.

HILL: There very well could be. And you don't want to be, you know, walking around with the brick of the iPhone world.

COOPER: I want to be on the cutting edge. I don't want to be, you know...

HILL: Cutting edge? You're so on the cutting edge. You don't need to follow the hype to get the iPhone. You create your own edge.

COOPER: Yes, you're right, Erica Hill. Thanks.

HILL: OK.

COOPER: Now for our "Shot of the Day". It is pretty crazy. Check this out.

A 72-year-old former Marine, fighting off a pick-pocket. That's him right there. Bill Barnes says he was scratching off a losing 2- dollar lottery ticket when he felt a hand slip in front -- into his front left pants pocket. He'd just put $300 from an ATM in there.

Barnes went into action, pulling the guy's wrist with one hand, pummeling him with the other hand.

HILL: No messing with (ph) him.

COOPER: Yes. The store manager -- yes, I know -- then intervened, and the suspect was treated for bloody nose and cuts, charged with unarmed robbery.

We should also mention, not only is Barnes a former Marine, he was a runner-up in a Golden Gloves competition before enlisting in the corps in 1956.

HILL: Hey, hey. How about that?

COOPER: So don't mess -- don't mess with Mr. Barnes.

HILL: That's right. Once a Golden Gloves runner-up, always a Golden Gloves runner-up.

COOPER: That's right.

HILL: I didn't get your e-mail, by the way.

COOPER: Oh, well, yes.

HILL: Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

COOPER: I have to figure that one out.

______

For some reason, CNN's news reports are more amusing then the majority of sitcoms on television nowadays.

I guess the next question to ask is why I'm such a nerd...

No comments: